This article introduces two foundational steps to take on complex integration projects (typically projects involving the CIMcloud API). Taking these two steps first will dramatically improve the odds for success on your project. Most integration project problems (delays, budget overruns, unintended issues, etc) can be traced back to a bad foundation (i.e. one of these steps was not completed).
It introduces the following topics:
- Step 1: Assemble The Team (Fill the 8 Critical Roles)
- Step 2: Create the Key Tools / Documents
Part of a Series of Articles
The article you are currently reading is part of a series of articles that are all organized and summarized in this Integration Reference Guide (Using the CIMcloud API).
Critical for Complex Integrations
The concepts presented in this article are particularly critical for complex integration projects.
Audience (for This Article)
The intended audience for this article is CIMcloud customers (and their contractors / partners) that are considering building and/or managing / supporting an integration between CIMcloud and any other software system.
Step 1: Assemble The Team (Fill 8 Critical Roles)
The Team (Critical Roles to Fill On An Integration Project) article covers the eight (8) critical roles (a.k.a. hats or job functions) that need to be filled for any integration project using the CIMcloud API. It includes a list of the role and their responsibilities, tactics to fill the roles, the three most common & costly mistakes that occur on integration projects (all three are role-related). These roles are particularly critical for complex integration projects. The article includes coverage of the following topics:
- The 8 Critical Roles to Fill
- Assigning the Roles
- People Filling Multiple Roles
- The Three (3) Most Common & Costly Mistakes
Step 2: Create the Key Tools/Documents
The Tools (Key Tools/Documents to Use on An Integration Project) article covers a list of recommended tools (documents) designed to help you plan and track the work on complex integration projects (typically involving the CIMcloud API). It covers (and links to) the following tools / documents:
- 1: Role Assignments (Job Functions) Worksheet (Who Will Do It)
- 2: Data Mapping Sheet (What To Do)
- 3: Live Data Take-over Plan (What To Do)
- 4: Technical Strategy & Plan (How To Do It)
- 5: Project Plan/Tasks (Getting It Done)
- 6: Project Issues List / Ad-Hoc To Do’s List (Getting It Done)