“Migration” is the term we use to describe moving a customer from a “Classic” version our the Website Pipeline or CIMcloud platform to the latest version of the CIMcloud platform. This article provides an overview of the stages of work involved in a typical migration project, from reserving your spot in line to the live roll-out of your solution on the latest version of the CIMcloud platform. It also includes some additional information to help you know what to expect as you plan and execute this (mostly) self-service implementation project.
This article includes the following 3 major parts:
- Part 1 – Process Overview
- Part 2 – Key Things To Expect
- Below covers a summary of key assumptions that you need to know to have success on your project.
- More details can be found in this Key Things to Expect article.
- Part 3 – Process Details
- Stage 0: Preparation
- Stage 1: Getting Connected
- Stage 2: Implementation
- Stage 3: Live Roll-out
- Stage 4: Project Closeout
Part 1 – Process Overview
There are 5 stages in the typical migration process. The time it takes to get through each stage largely depends on 1) your engagement level in the process, and 2) how much “Extra Work” you decide to take on during the migration process.
The 5 Stages & 3 Time Periods
This is a visual overview of the 5 stages of the project. More details on the steps within each stage are included in the “Process Details” sections below. It also includes a cross-reference of the 3 content-management time periods you move through during the project. You can reference this article for more details on the content-management time periods (including diagrams showing the sequence of events).
Part 2 – Key Things To Expect
There are several key assumptions that you need to know and understand to successfully execute your Classic-to-Current Migration project.
Below is a summary of the items that are covered in more detail in this Key Things To Expect On Your Migration (Classic-to-Current) Project article.
- The Migration Process – The article you are reading right now is covering the 5 stage process.
- Content Management Time Periods (Sequence Diagrams) – There are 3 content management time periods you move through during the project.
- Self-Service (It’s On You) – This is a self-service project. You are expected to plan, manage, and execute it yourself (or contract with a 3rd party implementation partner if you need any help).
- Things Have Changed (To Self-Service) – We used to require a paid, heavy hand-holding pro services engagement to implement our platform. We totally shifted to the self-service. Please plan accordingly.
- Need Help? – We have several ways you can get help when you need it.
- The Four (4) Things You Must Do – If you are starting or restarting your migration efforts, make sure you do these four things right away (they will set you up for success).
- Platform / Feature Changes – We hope you’ll love the changes we made to the new platform, but also understand that any change can take some getting used to. We also want you to be aware of a few known take-aways. Understanding they key changes can help your team better prepare for an impact it has on their work.
- Data/Content/Image/File Management – Because the migration project has an overlap period where two separate platforms (old and new) are running at the same time, there is a deliberate content management strategy that has to take place to keep both platforms up to date and accurate.
- Extra Work – There are six (6) major categories of extra work that we see come into play on migration projects. We recommend deferring the extra work if you can. If not, you need to understand the impact it will have on process, lead-times, and costs.
- Typical Lead-Times – There are several factors that impact your lead-time. Your project manager and planner will want to understand them when establishing a plan and schedule.
Part 3 – Process Details
Stage 0: Preparation
- Step 1: Reserve a Spot / Start Date
- Task #1: Fill Out This Form To Get Started
- Even though CIMcloud is doing our part of the standard migration work at no charge, there is still a material skilled labor component involved in deploying & configuring your new platform, installing the ERP sync tool, migrating all of your data, and supporting your implementation questions (via our ticketing system).
- We typically have a backlog of scheduled migration projects waiting for our migration team.
- By reserving a spot, you get in line for a start date and can proceed with the rest of the steps in Stage 0.
- Step 2: Assemble Your Core Team
- The below 5 roles are described in article.
- Task #2: Identify the Five (5) Critical Roles
- The two (2) heavy-lifting roles are: Project Manager and Lead Implementer
- The Program Manager will mainly be involved in deciding on “extra work” (if applicable)
- These two supporting roles will only be requested if needed by CIMcloud (sometimes they are needed complete the ERP Sync Tool install during deployment):
- IT / Network Admin Expert
- ERP / Financial Data (& Business Process) Expert
- Step 3: Complete the Manager Onboarding Checklists (each role)
- Task #3: Complete the Program Manager Onboarding Checklist
- Task #4: Complete the Project Manager Onboarding Checklist
- Step 4: Decide on The Extra Work That Is Required
- Task #5: Decide If/What Extra Work Will Be Part of Your Migration Project
- Task #6: Make Sure Your Project Manager Includes the Extra Work in Your Project Plan
- This article explains how extra work could impact your lead-time (this is needed for the plan).
- Note: A CIMcloud product manager will notify you if there are any known fringe product use cases (this is 1 of the 6 categories of extra work that could apply) in your scope that might impact your Start Date.
- Step 5 (if applicable): Support The Extra Work on a Pre-Deployment Site
- This is typically applicable if you choose to migrate custom modifications to the latest CIMcloud platform (the custom modifications will be adapted, installed, and tested in the pre-deployment site so they are ready when the migration project officially starts).
- Step 6: Notify your Customer Success Manager When All Prep Is Done
- This unlocks CIMcloud to proceed on the Start Date of your migration project.
Stage 1: Getting Connected
- Prerequisites: Stage 0 Items Are Complete
- Starts: Official Kickoff Date
- Step 1: Kickoff
- CIMcloud schedules the work and internally prepares for our part of the work.
- Step 2: Support The Deployment Part 1: Platform + Data Copy #1 + Image / File Copy #1
- CIMcloud will complete this part.
- It is unlikely that you will be needed for anything.
- You will be notified when this step is completed.
- At that point, your “Dual-Management of Content” (data and image/file) responsibilities start.
- Please take note of that date and plan accordingly.
- Click here for more details on Content (Data, Images, Files) Migration and Ongoing Management.
- Step 3: New Platform Turnover
- Task #7: Provide CIMcloud with the Email Address of the Platform Admin Worker
- CIMcloud will turnover the new platform to your Lead Implementer
- CIMcloud will set the email on the Admin Worker Login and send a password reset allowing the Lead Implementer to login into the Worker Portal on the new platform for the first time.
- Step 4: Implementer Onboarding Part 1 + Dual-Management of Content
- Task #8: Start the Lead Implementer / Operator Onboarding Checklist
- Step 5: Support The Deployment Part 2: ERP Sync Tool Install and Sync Data Refresh
- Your IT / Network Admin Expert and/or ERP / Financial Data (& Business Process) Expert may be needed to assist with access to your server (to install the ERP Sync Tool and get data syncing) and/or to answer configuration / data questions related to the ERP Sync setup.
- There are two variations to the ERP Sync Tool deployment, depending on your ERP system:
- Variation #1: CIMcloud will complete the Standard ERP Connector work (Sage 100).
- Variation #2: [Additional Pricing Applies] CIM Pro Services will complete 3rd Party ERP Connector work (including Sage 300, Sage 500, Sage X3, Microsoft Dynamics GP, and Microsoft Dynamics AX)
- Step 4: Implementer Onboarding Part 2
- Task #8: Complete the Lead Implementer / Operator Onboarding Checklist
Stage 2: Implementation
Note: You will continue dual-management of content responsibilities (on your live classic platform + the new CIMcloud platform) throughout all of Stage 2.
- Step 1: Implementation & Testing
- Step 2: Extra Work – Install and/or Complete
- Step 3: Data Copy #2
- Step 4: Testing & Punchlisting
Stage 3: Live Roll-out
- [Optional] Soft Launch / Gradual Rollout (Live Beta Test @ Pilot URL)
- Live Cutover
Stage 4: Project Closeout
- 30 Days Post Go Live
- Post Live Check-in